Banana Drop Cookies

Do you buy bananas for your family, thinking, " Five should be good. They will get eaten before they turn spotty and brown." ? If you are anything like me, the answer is yes. It turns out, you are wrong and the last two end up getting thrown into the back of your freezer.
Banana bread isn't a bad thing. It's okay to have some of those bananas on hand in times you feel like whipping up that delicious loaf to share with friends and family when they drop by for tea. I like to freeze my loaf as soon as it is cool enough to wrap. Slice frozen when needed, a few minutes on defrost and you have a baked good, ready to go!
This morning, while throwing my ice pack back into the fridge after a night of lovely head throbbing, a few of those bananas fell out onto my toes. Ok, frozen bananas hurt! They must want out, so I guess it's time to bake something. 
I ended up having six. Too many for just one loaf. A cookie would be nice. I turned to Google. A few recipes looked good but didn't have exactly the right ingredients. I did some thinking and some more searching and came up with this pretty yummy cookie. One banana bread and 40 amazing cookies and those bananas are now back to being something worth eating!




Banana Drop Cookies


Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 Tbsp Watkins Pumpkin Spice or Vanilla Extract
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup All Purpose flour
2/3 cup Whole Wheat flour
1 cup Quick oats
1 cup ground flax
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup quinoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Watkins Cinnamon 
1 cup Chocolate Chips

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius.

In a medium sized bowl, cream softened butter with white sugar and brown sugar, using a hand mixer on medium speed.  Add egg. Continue beating until fluffy. Add extract of choice.

Add bananas to butter and sugar mixture. Whip until combined.

In a separate bowl, combine flours, oats, ground flax, chia seeds, quinoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine. 

On low speed, combine dry into wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. 

Fold in Chocolate Chips.

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using two soup spoons, or a small ice cream scoop, (I use a small purple handled one I purchased at the local commercial kitchen store) drop cookie batter about 2 inches apart. You can leave them as is, or using a fork dipped in a little warm water, flatten slightly. ( I baked my first batch as is and then flatted the remaining batches. Both turned out fine!)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let sit for about 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.

I got about 40 cookies out of this batch. I will freeze them in packs of 10. 
If not freezing, place in air tight container or cookie jar and eat within 3 days for best quality!

These truly turned out better than I could have imagined! Now I just need to get them into the freezer before I devour each and every one of them!

Give them a try the next time you are overwhelmed by those frozen bananas, lurking in the back of your freezer or falling at your feet! You  won't be disappointed.




Happy baking! 

Natasha

Comments