Waffle Cones

Wow! Yesterday I had the most fantastic day with a great group of ladies. I am so happy I decided to give this a try. The push from my friend Wendy helped too!

When making my menu up for yesterdays Cook with the Chef event, I wanted to give Cannoli a try as the dessert. I was thinking "Quick" Cannoli....using store bought mini sugar or waffle cones. Perfect!

I was at work during all of this and unable to get to a grocery store to start the purchasing of ingredients until Friday. Two days before the event. Well, wouldn't you know it, no where to be found! Waffle BOWLS, mini ice cream cones, but no mini sugar cones. Ugh.

I didn't want to make the traditional Cannoli shell. I wanted the waffle cone taste. So that's what I did. Chef Tasha made her own waffle shells!



I found this recipe here!

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
 1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed

Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until frothy. Whisk in the butter, milk and vanilla. Gradually whisk in the flour and salt until smooth. The batter should be thin; you can stir in more milk if needed.
Heat a small skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush the pan lightly with oil. Pour about 1/8 cup of batter onto the skillet and turn to spread out the batter into a thin circle. When the underside is golden brown, flip over and cook until golden on the other side. Remove from the pan and form into a cone while it's hot, squeezing the end to seal. Place on a wire rack to cool and harden completely. Repeat with the remaining batter.

* For "Cannoli" shell shape, roll around handle of large stainless steel whisk. Let completely. Repeat as necessary.


For the filling:

1/3 cup melted chocolate
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cups mini chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Dip the end of each shell in melted chocolate. Lay on wax paper to harden.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, ricotta, powdered sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
Gradually add heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy. Fold in mini chocolate chips. Transfer mixture into a piping bag and pipe into cones.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. No more than 2 hours before you plan on eating them or the cones will get soggy.

**Mine turned out a little soggy after we filled them but I enjoyed the taste. It was similar to a crepe**



Over all, it was a great dessert! No matter if you make these shells or buy them. Give them a try and let me know what you think!


Happy Cooking!


Comments