Red Lentil Soup




There were many options for a soup using Red Lentils as the main ingredient. I spoke with my sister and she told me what her daughter does and then I did some online searching. This is what I came up with.


Red Lentil Soup garnished with yogurt and spring onion



1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped1 small white potato, sliced
1/4 small sweet potato, sliced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp salt
1" cube fresh ginger, minced
5 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils


In a 2 quart pot (you can use bigger, but no smaller), heat 1 Tbsp EVOO over medium heat. 
Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent over browning. 
Frozen ginger, peel on grated with micro-plainer
Everything in the pot. My sweet potato were spirals I had left in the fridge. 

Add garlic, saute for another 5 minutes. Add potatoes, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt and ginger. Stir till fragrant.  
This is what you are looking for at the grocery store!


Add stock and lentils and bring to simmer. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until everything is very soft. 

Ready to puree


Puree with hand blender till smooth. 
Taste and season with more salt and some pepper if required. 
Garnish with plain yogurt or some coconut milk. A sprinkle of spring onion or cilantro is nice as well!

Finished product


This soup turned out lovely, but I think I would take my sisters advice next time. Toss all vegetables and seasonings in olive oil and roast in oven for 30 to 45 minutes at 350F till soft and golden. Add to pot with stock and lentils and simmer. Continue on with my directions from there. Whichever way you choose, give it a try and let me know what you think!

Happy Cooking!

Comments