Potato Leek Soup

One of my husband's favorites. Potato leek soup. I haven't made it in a while but with the impending storm, (which is now in full force) I decided to pick up the ingredients and make it for him. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day after all! 😉

This is as simple as you can get!

Ingredients
1 bunch of leeks (usually only 3 or 4 in a bunch)
1 lb Potatoes
1-2 containers of Vegetable broth, Chicken broth or water
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Heavy Cream *Optional


Cut off the top, very green part of the leeks. Slice down the middle, and rinse under cold water, separating the layers to make sure you get out any sand and dirt.

Chop.


In a large pot, melt about 1/8 cup of real butter, and add a Tbsp of cooking oil of your choice.
Add leeks and stir. Cover and let "steam" over medium-low heat for about 2 or 3 minutes. 



 Remove lid and stir. Don't allow for them to brown too much.
Peel and slice your potatoes. Add to pot.



Stir and season with salt and pepper. Add some fresh thyme.
Add stock. Bring to simmer.


Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft. *You may have to add more liquid*
Taste. Season. Remove from heat and using your hand blender, blend till smooth.



Reheat and add cream if you wish to finish. A little chopped chives to garnish.
I have mine for another day, so if I decide to add cream, I will do so when I reheat it!


Happy Cooking!!!

Comments