Carrot Ginger Soup

It's a beautiful Saturday morning and soup is yet again, on my mind!
This is a simple Carrot Ginger Soup, which I added a quarter of a large sweet potato. It was in the fridge and not enough to use as a side dish, so why not!

Here's how it went down:

4 carrots, peeled, diced
1 large onion, peeled, chopped
1/4 sweet potato, peeled and diced *optional
2 inch piece of ginger, fresh (or frozen, as was mine!)
3 cloves or garlic, chopped or grated
3 Liters of water or stock of your choice
Salt
Add everything to a medium sized pot. My ginger was frozen, peel on, so I just used my micro-plainer to grate it in. If you are using fresh, just peel and slice. It's fine. It's all going to be pureed anyway.

Saute with a little olive oil and put the lid on to allow the vegetable to steam. Put burner on low and stir every 5 minutes or so. After about 15-20 minutes, add water, vegetable stock or chicken stock. Whichever you prefer. I just used water. Enough to cover the vegetable.
Season with some salt and let simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables or very soft.
Now, get out your awesome hand blender and wiz up! Adding more liquid, for the consistency you desire.
*If you do not have a hand blender, but a regular one, make sure you let the soup cool before trying to puree. You do not want to burn yourself or cause a huge mess in your kitchen!!*
Now, taste. If you think it requires more salt, then add it and bring it back to a simmer. Taste again. When you are satisfied, remove from stove top and serve. (Or in a container to be used for lunches throughout the week!)

I hope you enjoy this soup. We sure do! You don't have to add the sweet potato, I just did because I had it.

Happy Cooking!

Comments