Mile High Biscuits!

My two weeks off are coming to an end. Today is my last day at home and I have again, been busy in my kitchen. Doing what I love to do, of course. Making goodies for the people I love.

I was given a cook book from my massage therapist a while back. She was cleaning out her book shelf and thought I'd like a few more books to add to my collection! She knows how much I love them.

This one is The Great Nova Scotia Recipe Cookbook
My favorite recipe from the book is this Biscuit recipe. It is small, so you only get 6 or 7 nice size biscuits. Y
ou may want to double it if you're looking for a bigger batch, or you could make them smaller.


Ingredients:

2 cups a.p. flour + more for board
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk

Method:

Preheat oven to 425F.

Line small cookie sheet with parchment.

Sift all dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl.

Cut shortening in with pastry blender, or with your hands.

Stir in milk with a fork to form a ball of dough. It will be fairly soft and wet.

Turn out onto floured board/counter top and work into nice 1 - 1 1/2 inch thick disc. Add more flour if needed.

Using a 3" round cutter, dusted in flour, cut out 6 to 7 biscuits. 

Brush a little milk over tops of biscuits and place in preheated oven.

Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown.

Serve up with butter, jam, molasses or with your favorite stew!


I hope you enjoy this recipe and give it a try yourself!!

Happy Cooking

Tasha :) 




Comments